Sunday, 16 October 2011

Coffee Break and Biscuits

While I wait for the coffee to filter I'll just see what is in the cupboard.  My mouth is watering already. Ah, here is a packet of chocolate digestives.

The picture of my chocolate biscuits is not quite in focus, but because I am a known fussy eater, I thought I would list the contents:

Wheat flour and milk chocolate. Good seems OK, that's what I expect. Hang on those ingredients only make up 68% of the biscuits so what is in the remaining 32%? Erm, Sugar, cocoa butter, cocoa mass, dried skimmed milk, dried whey, butter oil, vegatable fat, soya, lecithin E476, natural flavouring, vegetable oil, wholemeal wheat flour, sugar, glucose-fructose syrup, sodium bicarbonate, tartaric acid, malic acid, ammomium bicarbonate, salt.

But the packet states "Eat Healthily". Um well. Lets see, the packet tells me that each biscuit contains ....

I'm going off the idea of chocolate digestives.

Had a look in the cupboard and decided to make some biscuits. Something I have never baked before. Found a quick recipe  BBC biscuit dough


Anyway got going and mixed butter, sugar, vanilla essence, egg yolk, and flour. I only made a half batch because I am not sure how they will turn out.

This is the mixture rolled and ready to slice with a sharpe knife. I can smell the vanilla, it is delicious.

So I sliced the mixture into rounds and decorated the biscuits some with cranberries and some with monkey nuts.



 Here are my biscuits on a baking sheet ready to go in the oven. I suppose they don't look that attractive but I'm going to eat them.


So into the oven for 15 minutes. Phew, ready for coffee.

I didn't expect them to rise so much, must space them out more next time. So, the only additive in these handmade biscuits is the ascorbic acid that was in the flour. Mmm I think I am going to enjoy.




No comments:

Post a Comment